111 unique libraries available as
249 unique library releases
5000 plus downloads of RubyGems
20688 downloads of gem
Learn about it
Help us celebrate!
Let’s make those numbers up there get bigger (especially the first
- Go get RubyGems 0.8.1
if you don’t already have it.
- Pick a library that you either created or really like
- Check to see if there is a gem already available for it (gem search -r
- If yes, goto 1.
- Read the RubyGems
chapter in Programming Ruby.
- Create a gemspec (or a Rakefile)
and build the gem.
- If this is not your library, send the gemspec/rakefile to the author and
ask them to add it to their build process.
- If this is your library, add the gemspec/rakefile to your build process.
- If you have a RubyForge project for this
library, release the gem, and it will be automatically available via remote
install (gem install mywonderfullibrary)
- If you don’t have a RubyForge project, email me (chad at
chadfowler.com) and I’ll make sure the gem gets added for you.
If you need help, email me or find me on irc (#ruby-lang,#rubyonrails on
irc.freenode.net) or on AIM (cefogc). I may be busy when you initially
contact me, but trust that I’ll be happy to hear from you.
Imagine when the number 111 from above becomes 1111 and virtually any Ruby
library or application you could think of is installable (with all of its
dependencies) with a single command. How fast can we make that happen? How
big a chunk can one person contribute to that goal?